Chrissy's Reviews > The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

May 10, 09

I adore this book! The story is told from the viewpoint of the wife and four daughters of a fundamentalist evangelical missionary, who takes them from mid west America to the Belgian Congo in the late 1950's. They take with them all the useless things they think they will need and miss - from cake-mix packets to hair curlers. They gradually realise that things are not as they thought and the girls grow up,each in their own way, wiser, sadder and more cynical. The tale unfolds with tradgedy, pathos, humour and loathing. Kingsolver weaves an intricate plot in which the threads of religion, politics, morality and survival overlap. At the centre of it all is Africa - its struggle for survival and independance. Follow the very different characters of Rachel (the cynic) Leah (the moralist) Adah (the intelligent loner) and Ruth May (the innocent)and prepare yourself to be transported into a world as it is/was, not as it should be. I rarely give a 5* rating but this book is one I have read and re-read. Hope you enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poisonwood Bible.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy We always agree! I loved this book when I read it several years ago. A Book Club future read?
Judy

Chrissy Already thought of that! We read it as a group two years ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Chrissy