Michelle's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: 2010, book-club
Read in February, 2010

I was between 4 and 5 stars on this one. I don't think it's among my favorite books ever, but it was still a highly enjoyable read, and one I'd definitely recommend to just about anyone.

The whole time I read this book, which is set in the South in the early 60s, I could not get over how recent this all was. It's just so unbelievable that people could be so openly racist, so cruel -- with no repercussions -- and that it wasn't even very long ago.

And the irony! Did they really not see the conflict between saying that you could not teach blacks to be clean, and yet they hired these supposedly unclean people to clean their homes, cook their food, and raise their children?! It's mind boggling.

I absolutely loved the characters of Aibileen and Minny, and Skeeter wasn't far behind. Hilly was one of those people that is so manipulative, self-serving, and abominable that you can hardly believe it.

My favorite thing of all was that Aibileen discovered she had a gift for loving children, and for helping them to feel special, to feel good about themselves. Every time she would tell Mae Mobley her "secret stories," I would feel there was hope for the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.