Diane's Reviews > To Say Nothing of the Dog

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Jun 10, 2009

bookshelves: science-fiction, read-before-2011

This is another book that came highly recommended. Now, I don't always have good experiences with books that are highly recommended! But I'm glad that I didn't pass on this one, because it was one of the most entertaining books I've read in a while.

This sf novel is really a fun mix of different things. There's time travel, with all of its attendant paradoxes, and of course the danger of destroying the entire space-time continuum. There's chaos theory, redundancy, slippage, and the unfortunate rule that only dust and soot can travel forward through the net. There's history: Ned Henry travels to 1940, 1888, 1395, and even 2018 (Okay, that one's faux-history). There's mystery: Who is the mysterious Mr. C? And where it the bishop's bird stump? And there's comedy: the bishop's bird stump itself; the ladies of Victorian England; in particular, Tocelyn and Mrs. Mering; to say nothing of the cat.

If you like to read science fiction for the pure fun of it, then I recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Say Nothing of the Dog.