Rachel's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Mar 12, 10

bookshelves: 2-loved-it
Recommended to Rachel by: Jean
Recommended for: Writers, women, and those interested in World War II literature
Read in March, 2010, read count: 1

I currently have a bit of an obsession with World War II literature; the bad thing about that being I usually end up reading seriously depressing books. What a relief then to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The novel is told through a series of letters, each writer having their own style and personality shine through their words. The characters are so lively and charming, I wish they were real so I could go to Guernsey and meet them all. And the story, while dealing with real issues of how people survived the war and rebuilt their lives after its end, is truly a delight to read. I did cry a few times, but I laughed so many more. Just be careful, by the time you're done you are totally going to want to find a penpal!
1 like · flag

Natalie This is on our book club list for this summer. I'm eager to read your review...but I might wait until after I read it first.

message 2: by Kendra (last edited Mar 13, 2010 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kendra I read another take on WWII last year entitled Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I thought it was charming.