Nicole's Reviews > Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up

Garden Witchery by Ellen Dugan

May 18, 2009

Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Adult/High School-With good-humored flair, Dugan offers a practical introduction to gardening that incorporates an eclectic blend of Wiccan and magical traditions. The author encourages readers to work hard to make the garden "a place where both our metaphysical and ordinary lives begin to thrive together." Outlining basic principles such as working with the directions and the elements, moon phases, and color, the author shows how this lore, rooted in a respect for nature, also forms the basis of good gardening practice. She offers succinct and useful information on a great variety of topics such as astrology, fairies, herbal spells and charms, crafts, and journaling, and on dealing with an equal variety of garden situations and types. Throughout, she suggests excellent sources for further information, including the Extension Service, the Poison Control Center, and the public library, and she offers an extensive bibliography (mostly of magic literature). The good advice and sound horticultural practice found here can help novices and/or budding garden witches to discover their own style and get off to a solid start, and can also enrich the experience of those who are already knowledgeable.

A wonderful book about "Garden Witchery". I learned a lot about flowers and their correspondences. Unfortunately I couldn't find nice tips and tricks for "Balcony Witchery" or what to do if you have vermin. But I guess for that you need a regular flower book. I also was a bit confused about the chapter of the sabbats. It was very interesting and I loved to read it, but it had almost nothing to do with flowers and gardens (except a few hints about her sabbat decorations outside...) But it's still a wonderful book and I can warmly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden Witchery.