Teresa in Ohio 's Reviews > Charley's Web

Charley's Web by Joy Fielding

May 30, 09

bookshelves: fielding-joy
Read in May, 2009

THis book is closer to 3.5 than a 4. Charley writes a bi weekly column for a Florida paper. She is contacted by a death row inmate convicted of torturing and killing 3 small children. She agrees to write the book and is drawn into a socialpath's demented world. Jill plays her, lies to her and only dribbles out the truth to keep her hooked. The problems I had with this book is Charley can be irresponible and does some stupid things. On the other hand the story is written at a pace that keeps you turning the pages trying to figure out if Jill is the killer of these three innocent children or did she have help or was she framed? Fielding manages to handle the subject matter of the children's death well, giving the reader enough info of the killings without details of what happened. This reminds me of cases you read in the news of horrific killings of children. I recommend this book as a fast read that holds your interest and the ending is conclusive without the red herrings or a jolt that makes you go HMMMMMM that is not where the story is going. I can't rate it a 4 because of some of the questionable things Charley does.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charley's Web.

05/16/2009 page 1
0.23% "THis is my new downstairs book to read while the kids do 30 minutes of reading"
05/23/2009 page 32
7.32% "good story so far, plot could be ripped from the headlines not sure yet"
05/25/2009 page 109
24.94% "1/4 of way done and the main character has done some dumb things but the story is an easy read"
05/25/2009 page 109
24.94% "1/4 of the way done, it is an easy read that holds your interest even though the main character has made a few dumb decisions" 1 comment