Dan's Reviews > Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine Disaster / In Watermelon Sugar

Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine D... by Richard Brautigan

May 16, 2009

bookshelves: literature, read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

I am mad. Mad that I haven't read any Brautigan until this year. Now that I have this book along with the last he wrote (An Unfortunate Woman) under my reading 'belt' I feel a little happier. This edition, i believe, combines three separate Brautigan works each of which has their merits and their serious entertainment value. There is a wide range of beauty, silliness and emotion in his poetry and the two stories (novels? novellas?) are equally wonderful. Due to his style and layout almost every page of Brautigan's prose seems like it could stand alone without the rest of the story. Luckily for us the rest of the pages exist.

Here is the title poem from his book of poetry:

The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster

When you take your pill
it's like the mine disaster.
I think if all the people
lost inside of you.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine Disaster / In Watermelon Sugar.

message 1: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Wow. That little poem is amazing. I've never read Brautigan, but have now added him to my list!

Thanks Dan!