Andria's Reviews > A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children

A Mom After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George

F_50x66
May 08, 09

Read in January, 2009

I was looking for a book on Christian parenting, more interested in ideas for instilling a knowledge and love of God than in ideas for discipline (which is what all the other books I looked at seemed to focus on--good grief, there is more to the Bible than "Spare the rod, spoil the child"!). George's book gave me a long list of ideas for incorporating God into our daily lives--ways to talk about God, teach His Word, teach children to pray, etc. The book has given me a lot to think about and do, which is what I had in mind. It also puts a lot of emphasis on prayer for moms, which I agree is key. When we as moms focus our lives on Christ and make Him an important part of our day, our example speaks more powerfully than anything we try to DO to teach or make a point. One note: not a big fan of George's husband having the last word each chapter with "From a Dad's Heart". His tone is a bit condescending, and he didn't add all that much to the content. He really focuses on dads who don't really want to participate in any of the mom's efforts! Maybe it's a help to women in that situation; it just didn't speak to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mom After God's Own Heart.