Davidmcdonnell's Reviews > The Gnostic Gospels

The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine H. Pagels

M 50x66
May 08, 09

Read in May, 2009

I stopped one-fifth into this book. Elaine Pagels, a PHD in religious studies in from Harvard, gives an mildly interesting back story to the discovery of the "gnostic" gospels of Nag Hammadi. The book is heavy on judgements/opinions and light on facts/justifications. One more interested in getting someone's opinions concerning these actual historical documents may find this book interesting. I was hoping for a more fact-based explanation and dissertation on these gospels, allowing me to form my own opinions and judgments. After several chapters it was clear I would gain very few real facts while wading through a significant level of opinion. With all the books in the world, I decided this was not the book for me.

In addition to "The Gnostic Gospels", I have read several other accounts of these texts, as well as novels such as "The Da Vinci Code", and they all share the same message: what you have been taught is inferior to what you don't know, and has been taught to you for immoral motives. This opinion reeks of superiority and lacks tangible, fact-based reason. An open debate between competing thoughts is one thing, a shallowly supported,"you are uninformed, you simple sheep", opinion is quite different. Present both sides, then opinion, or I will move on to an author who is able and motivated to do so.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gnostic Gospels.

message 1: by Josh (new)

Josh A total misreading of the book. To compare it to the Da Vinci Code is an insult.