Andre's Reviews > The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

May 08, 2009

liked it
Read in May, 2009

I loved sections I-III. Section IV turned pretty biblical on me, and very fast, although I got the point. Going into section IV, it was a solid 4 stars.

Afterwards, I'm not sure so much. Maybe that might change as my spirituality grows, but it just seemed like I was reading the bible instead of a book on Psychology.

"What I Learned From This Book" - what a freaking loaded question this is - you always take out of something what you *want* to take out of it. As Mr. Pirsig would state, I took out of the book what I saw had value to me as I sit right now. Well, one big thing is that you need to constantly revise the map of your life. Think of drawing your map in pencil as opposed to pen (after reading this, I actually asked myself if I tend to write heavy handed?). To a lesser extent, another thing I remember is that I found it interesting that he points out that self-responsibility is key... in one chapter he mentioned that people tend to give away their freedom and happiness because they don't want to be responsible for their actions (instead, preferring to blame or delegate to someone else). One big thing I liked is that he mentioned that it's "lonely out on the growing edge." Another section, he talks about the difference between political power and spiritual power.

I strongly disagreed with Peck's statement that Good always triumphs Evil. I'll write more about this after my copy comes in the mail.

All in all, I think that if Psychology is your bag, this is an interesting read. You might not agree with everything, but, well, regardless, you'll be more rounded. //
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road Less Traveled.