Victoria's Reviews > The Big Empty

The Big Empty by J.B. Stephens

Jun 14, 09

I found this book on the back shelf of my library one day, expecting an easy read until I could pick up another "good" book. The series totally hooked me.

When a deadly virus called Strain 7 wipes out over 50% of life on Earth, people are left scattered, struggling to survive in urban cities. Rogue gangs run the open land in between, and the government is at a loss.

Then a sixteen-year-old girl named Keely starts corresponding with a mysterious penpal...someone who assures her that there is a place out there; a place called Novo Mundum where survivors are keeping civilization and culture alive. Keely, desperate to escape from the constant fear in her city, latches onto the promise, and begins a journey.

And across the U.S., so do others. Irene, a gentle girl with a knack for nursing. Diego, a wilderness buff with nothing left to protect him from the government troops encroaching on his land. Michael, a CEO's son whose flaky girlfriend Maggie gets him in the worst possible situation. Amber, a pregnant girl searching for the boyfriend who left her. Jonah, whose caretakers were abducted by a gang.

All of them heading into the now unoccupied wild space called The Big Empty, searching for the one last paradise in a ravaged world.

There's action. There's fear. There's fights. There's romance. All of the characters have realistic personalities, strengths, and flaws. It's an amazing apocalyptic story, but one that's more down-to-earth than others I've read. It just makes it all the easier to immerse yourself in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Empty.