Bethany Andrews's Reviews > Bad Girls Club

Sep 07, 07

bookshelves: bookofthemomentreviews, youngadult, fiction
Recommended for: everyone
Read in September, 2007

In "bad girls club" we meet Destiny. Destiny's home life is beyond messed up. Her mother is mentally ill, and as a result, very unable to care for her two children properly. From a young age Destiny takes on the role of parent in caring for her younger sister Cassidy.

In a book meant for young adults, we read on as Destiny is faced with one horror after another. From her mother's attempts to kill Cassidy, to her father's denial of the entire situation. The story moves quickly and is brutally raw and intense. Sadly, its also very real for a lot of youngsters out there.

This is a book that should be readily available to young adults. Children in abusive homes are often emberassed and afraid to reach out for help. A book like "bad girls club" will not only help them understand that they aren't alone, but it also comes complete with a list of resources for children and adults alike.

I can't say enough good things about this book. I hope every school and public library buys multiple copies of this book to have on hand. It's a huge contribution to the young adult literary world.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Girls Club.

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hey, that's a good review, Bethany.