Rachael's Reviews > Distant Waves

Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn

May 08, 09

Five sisters, daughters of the famed psychic Maude Taylor, grow up in unusual circumstances. They make their home in Spirit Vale, a small and unique town in which a high concentration of clairvoyants and those with the “gift” also reside. Despite their shared last name, the five sisters are quite different. Beautiful Mimi, the oldest, yearns to claim a place in high society while also internally struggling with the truth of her heritage. She, along with her youngest sister Blythe, believes their mother’s psychic business is just a load of nonsense. Naïve Blythe, similarly to Mimi, wants to experience the world through the eyes of the rich. Twins Emma and Amelie seem to be following in their mother’s footsteps. And rational Jane is just trying to hold the family together and make scientific sense of it all. But all five sisters are fated to board the doomed Titanic. It is a voyage that will test their beliefs, threaten their lives, and irrevocably alter their courses forever.

Distant Waves is interesting and well written enough, but I just could not get much into the story. I found the intersection of science and the supernatural quite intriguing, and in enjoyed the incorporation of several key historical figures such as the acclaimed scientist Tesla and the magician and escape artist Harry Houdini. Weyn’s writing has continually frustrated me, particularly in the endings of Reincarnation by The Bar Code Tattoo, and since she is a good writer, I keep hoping that the nest story will be better, but Distant Waves was just a huge downward slide to me. There are some commendable parts of this novel, such as its researched historical accuracy and Weyn’s skilled manipulation of each sister’s story, but unfortunately, that just wasn’t good enough. Distant Waves lacked something to it, and I’m not quite sure what, to capture my interest and bring the story together. It also didn’t help that the unequal amounts of information were given about each sister, as Jane is the narrator and her interactions with her different siblings vary. It’s also so disappointing to me that Weyn certainly is a capable writer but lacks in storytelling skills because she has such unique ideas.

Readers who enjoy Weyn’s writing, particularly in Reincarnation, may also enjoy Distant Waves. I don’t think I will be reading any more of Weyn’s writing as it has continued to let me down.

reposted from http://thebookmuncher.blogspot.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distant Waves.