Victoria's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Sep 14, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** An absolutely stunning sequel to "The Hunger Games." It does what every sequel should do; dives deep into the characters, blows the world wide open to be explored, expands the plot like crazy, drops about ten tons worth of twists on your head, and leaves you aching for the next book.

What blew me away in this book is how incredibly well developed it was. From Katniss easing you back into her world and recapping briefly at the beginning, and then each smooth transition from tour, to rebellion, to Quell, to Games...perfect. Never too fast, never too slow. One of my biggest complaints in books is when nothing happens. In this book, it feels like you've gone so very far and learned so much in only 400 pages.

And the characters...! I admit, I got quite attached to everyone in "The Hunger Games." But here, you get to know so much more about them. And consequently, you love or hate them even more. I am now utterly invested in some of these people; I'm sure the third book will be wrenching as my emotions get played with further. Because "Catching Fire," believe it or not, went even further than the first book in terms of messing with your heartstrings. There is death, and brutality, and heartbreak, and sadism. But that's exactly why you become so much more involved in Katniss's struggle; you want to end the Capital's evil regime as badly as she does. And despite the parallels to the previous book, nothing felt rehashed because of how many new twists were added.

The new characters are fantastic (I have to say, I think Finnick wins the Coolest New Character award from me, although I almost cried over Mags), and they add a whole different element to the twist-and-turn of the newest Games.

And finally, I congratulate Collins to the utmost for crafting one of the best love triangles I've ever seen. Usually in instances like these, I have a definite favorite as far as the romantic interest goes. But I can honestly say that between Gale and Peeta, I can't choose, just like Katniss. They're both such real, honest people, with amazing qualities and realistic flaws. And they both have their "moments," definitely. And even better, the romance isn't stilted or forced; it's wonderful.

And as everyone else has said, the ending leaves you with your toes pointing over the edge of a massive cliff, thrilling with the possibility of what the final book might bring. One thing's for sure; "Catching Fire" was more than worth the wait, and one of the best things I've read all year without a doubt.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Quotes Victoria Liked

Suzanne Collins
“I'm so sorry," I whisper. I lean forward and kiss him.
His eyelashes flutter and he looks at me through a haze of opiates. "Hey, Catnip."
"Hey, Gale," I say.
"Thought you'd be gone by now," He says.
My choices are simple. I can die like a quarry in the woods or I can die here beside Gale. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay right here and cause all kinds of trouble."
"Me, too," Gale says. He just manages a smile before the drugs pull him back under.”
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

Suzanne Collins
“Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.
"Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" I say.
"It must be. The sensation's completely new. How have you managed it all these years?" he asks.
"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," I say.
"Not if I keep looking at you," he says.”
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

09/11/2009 page 151
37.28% "Ahhh! This book is so worth the wait. :D"
09/13/2009 page 257
63.46% "AHHHH! *runs around in circles* This book is AMAZING." 11 comments

Cara I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo totally jealous!!!! Everybody is going to finish this book before I do! Well at least someone is having fun with it:) Enjoy, I hear it's better than the first.

Victoria Now you know how I feel about City of Glass. ;) I'm only about 50 or so pages into it...I love it already.

Cara Well at least you have a copy! I'm just reading it in tidbits when I go into stores (it's in most places since it's pretty popular). I'm number 6 now on the holds on City of Glass.
I'm glad you're loving it:D

Cara You had to write a a review with spoilers!! This is total agony. Well I will read it when I get to finish the book myself.

Victoria Sorry. :( But when I finished it, I was just so overwhelmed by everything I had to comment on all the awesomeness! You'll understand when you read it. All you really need to know is that it was amazing. :D

Cara No worries I know it's really hard to talk about this series without giving anything away. The spoilers is what makes the story:)

Cara *COMMENT CONTAINS SPOILERS*
I think it's the most KILLER cliffhanger I have encountered! Seriously. I wanted to call Collins and demand her to tell me what happens, but who knows at this point she might not even know herself. The characters are so real and you feel bad and good (weird but true) for all invovled. Katniss, Peeta, Gale I mean it's just so hard and like you said I honestly can't choose a favorite. They both are just good guys and I don't want her to kill one of them off! I was really interested to see what the author was gonna do in the second one without the games in the picture but then bam she hits us with that. It didn't feel the same though and that I appreciated. I am so frustrated but I still thought the book was so enthralling. Katniss had every right to be mad at Haymitch in the end, even if it was for the cause. You know throughout the story you have inklings but you never sure of anything till the end.

Victoria I know. I can't get over the feeling that they're going to have to kill one of the guys...and that makes me sad since I love them both and so does Katniss. :( It was frustrating, but in the best way. And I loved how she made the story so different and original. And even managed to introduce new characters that I loved. Although I never expected to like him, there were several times when I wanted to hug Finnick. He rocked. :D

Cara Yes definitely Finnick was very welcomed addition into the clan. I liked how the beginning we thought he was kind of a "player" and we get to see who he really is throughout he story. She better not kill ANY of them!!! But who knows she is really talented so she might figure out a way to make it work. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to think of a way to do that:)I don't know if you've read the Underland series she wrote (I didn't finish reading the series but it is good) but she isn't afraid to kill off major players so I'm still kind of antsy about it. Yeah it is frustrating but you understand that it has to be because well throwing over a controlling isn't easy.

Victoria Yeah, most authors get to be pretty coldhearted about killing their characters. :P The thing is, the love triangle is so good and so real, it's hard to imagine Katniss with one guy or the other while they're both still alive. :( Possibly I can see Gale letting her go for Peeta, but Peeta would be crushed without her. But yeah, I'm fully expecting some character deaths, unfortunately. Let's just hope she finds a way to write a fantastic (and somewhat happy) ending.

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I know!!! Cross fingers that everything will work it well:D