Lisa's Reviews > Sarah's Key

May 12, 09

liked it
bookshelves: family-book-club, three-stars, read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

I liked this book, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to give it 3 stars or 4. Sarah's Key revolves around two stories: that of Sarah, a young Jewish girl living in Paris in the 1940s, and Julia, an American journalist living there in the mid 90s. Julia is given an assignment to write about the Vel' d'Hiv roundup of July 1942, in which the French police collaborated with the Nazis to send the Jews living in France to extermination camps. Sarah, 10 years old at the time, was one of those Jews.

I enjoyed the way the book alternated between Sarah's story and Julia's, but Sarah's story was so much more interesting than Julia's. I wish that more of the book had revolved around Sarah. I felt like too much focus was placed on Julia, when it really should have been on Sarah and her heartbreaking ordeal.

I'm glad I read this book. I'd never heard of the Vel' d'Hiv roundup before reading it, and books that make me want to do further research on a subject (like Year of Wonders) are always good.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.