Victoria's Reviews > The Dragon Heir

The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

May 08, 2009

** spoiler alert ** A perfect conclusion to this trilogy, even if it does leave you wishing the series wouldn't end at all!

The direction this book takes is interesting; just as Jack headed "The Warrior Heir" and Seph "The Wizard Heir", Jason and Madison take up the spotlight for this book. At first it seems an unusual choice, as both were minor characters up until now. But I quickly came to love them, and in the end I was grateful for this extra glimpse into their lives.

Of all the amazing characters in the Heir series, Jason and Maddie are definitely two of the most complex, I discovered. There is both anger and heroism, selfishness and great compassion in their hearts. Theirs was a wonderful, painful, and educational tale to follow.

And of course, the return of all the old characters was once again a welcome part of the storyline. Though they hold smaller roles, they never falter from the personas that I encountered in the previous two.

But I have to say, it was the climax; the last ten or so chapters of "The Dragon Heir" that truly wowed me. The emotion, the delicate character interactions, the internal and outer struggles, all the truth coming clean in a flood of sorrow, betrayal, and triumph. To this day, I think the end of this book is one of the most powerful scenarios I've ever seen. I've read it several times and never tire of it.

All in all, the fitting close to a great series, which is never an easy thing to accomplish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Heir.

Quotes Victoria Liked

Cinda Williams Chima
“Fitch is on his way. He's coming after he blows up some wizards.”
tags: will

Cinda Williams Chima
“Outside the Weirwall, Jack could hear the thud of bodies colliding and the cries of the wounded. It seemed like a lot of noise. Even given the fact that Ellen was involved.
"Why'd she go out there?" Jack demanded. "Why didn't you stop her?"
Brooks spat on the ground. "Have you ever tried to stop Captain Stephenson from anythin'?”

Cinda Williams Chima
“Madison looked from Jason, who jerked his head toward the gate, signaling her to get moving, to Longbranch, whose cold, direct gaze said Jason would pay in blood for any kind of double-cross.
One thing was clear: Jason Haley had been lying to her since the moment he set foot on her porch. Was he really plotting with the Roses? Or had he decided to sacrifice himself to get her into the sanctuary?
Madison threw her arms around Jason's neck as if she couldn't face being parted from him and whispered fiercely in his ear, "You lying lunatic bastard. They're going to kill you."
"I love you too," he murmured. "Go find Seph. Help him.”