Jana's Reviews > Bel Canto

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Aug 04, 09

bookshelves: heart-and-mind
Read in August, 2009

Ann Patchett fell in love with her characters, and you could tell that from the beginning. And what she did, I did as well.

I'm so happy that Bel Canto and I shared some time together. It was pretty much difficult to say goodbye. I felt bonded with it like it was my friend, as I attached myself with some of the characters very much.

It so rare to find a book where you have such a big group of people, on extreme opposite sides and, the middle with no sides, for which you can say that is so essential in finding goodness, compassion, understanding and love for each other.

So there was this part in the book where Roxane started singing Puccini's 'O Mio Babbino Caro' and my eyes were full of tears, as I heard her through my Maria Callas memories from the period when I was obsessed with her. Just to give myself another wind under the wings, I clicked on You tube and I sobbed. I call that perfection, as I adore when some book produces this emotional avalanche.

I was feeling this hyper urge to learn more about languages. I added my own personal experience to Bel canto, and it made me feel like there is so much more that you can do with a language, and this book is such a rare gem. There is this basic core, something that we use constantly – verbal communication. And if you know this basic basic thing of more than just your own mother tongue, where is your end?

When I was reading epilogue, I felt a bit betrayed, but just for few minutes. Everything that they wanted and loved stayed in that house. Thibault was the only one who was yearning for the outside world, but the rest, they had to find a way to stay within those captured walls and within those memories of joy, strange relationships, forbidden love and passion.

I understand perfectly why they did it. They just couldn’t live without those memories even for a day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bel Canto.

dateDown_arrow    newest »