Sandy's Reviews > Coming Home

U_50x66
May 08, 09

bookshelves: ww2, england, hist-fiction
Read in January, 1997

This is probably my favorite Pilcher novel. It is a tender, gentle and very real story of a young girl coming of age during WWII. She lives with an aunt as her parents are out in the Far East. She becomes friends with a wonderful family whose lives and loves she grows to be an integral part of. Ultimately she must take on the responsibility of a young sister who survived the brutal invasion of the Japanese while their parents didn't. It is such a real life, with young people having to make grown up decisions and being very capable of doing so responsibly... We are so caught up in our American Society with the notion that a person is 'a minor' and not able to make adult decisions until the absurd age of 18 or 21.... Yet most of the world lives quite differently, you take on responsibilities and make decisions as they come up in your life, and you take the consequences of those decisions with out all the bitching and moaning and declarative fuss of "He/She was too young!" "I was only a child!"..... Much more mature and grown up societies than the one we live in today.

Wonderful book....... I still think often Ruth and her little sister and Loveday and all the rich and sweet characters of this timeless story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming Home.