Ionia's Reviews > Matt Monroe and The Secret Society

Matt Monroe and The Secret Society by Edward Torba

Mar 06, 13

Read in March, 2013

This book starts out fun from the very beginning. Immediately I was able to make a connection with the main character. He was clumsy and had just the same kind of luck that I have.

The book progresses at a fairly good pace and the way the author has intertwined humor with the events in the story made it an easy going and enjoyable read. I have read a lot of YA novels that start out with something great but then tend to lag in the middle. This book doesn't do that. The characters keep moving throughout and the story never has the chance to get boring or let the reader down.

I was happy that the author chose to make the alternate reality such an interesting place where things mirrored what we are used to in this world but weren't the same. He was very creative in coming up with ideas and fulfilling them in this novel and I think young adults would really appreciate how original this work is. I haven't read anything else quite like it. I look forward to seeing what else this author has to offer his readers.

The ending is truly spectacular and for one, was not at all what I was expecting. I would definitely recommend this YA book to others. Refreshing and entertaining.
This review is based on a digital ARC from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matt Monroe and The Secret Society.