Alison's Reviews > Servant of the Bones

Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice

May 10, 09

bookshelves: bookclub, fiction
Read in May, 2009

This was something I read for one of my book clubs. It's the story of Azriel, a demon/angel/spirit who is called forth from his preserved skeleton by whomever owns it, and must do that person's bidding. We see how he is turned from a regular person into the demon, hear a bit about the various masters he serves, and then hear about how he somehow manages to free himself from this servitude. This last part takes place now.

The story of Azriel was fairly interesting, but it was set within the conceit of Azriel telling his story to Jonathan, an anthropologist. This leads to a lot of time wasted between the two of them having conversations that don't really matter to the main plot. It also makes for a slow start to the book, and interrupts the flow of the narrative several times. In addition, the book is much longer than it needs to be because Rice uses a bit too much descriptive language. I am all for long descriptive passages done well, as I find it wonderful to read good prose. But this isn't quite of that quality.

Overall I guess if you are a fan of fantasy and like Anne Rice this might be a decent beach read, but I can't say I'd really recommend it overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Servant of the Bones.