Josiah's Reviews > Report to the Principal's Office!

Report to the Principal's Office! by Jerry Spinelli

1914201
May 12, 09

Read in May, 2009

I have learned never to be surprised when a Jerry Spinelli book exceeds my expectations, since ALL of them do, and by the time I finished "Report to the Principal's Office", the old familiar feeling of having loved a Jerry Spinelli story was comfortably in place.
It's a little bit unusual to see a series (even a mini-series, as is the case for "School Daze") come from the pen of this author, but as always Jerry Spinelli wonderfully and sensitively has created a world full of big-hearted, memorable characters that is written with unmistakably smooth sweetness. There are some mildly stomach-turning things near the beginning for the sake of realism, its true, but these bits are necessary to shape a world that really means something to the reader, a world that rings impeccably true while reaching deep inside and affecting the reader's heart.
No one surpasses Jerry Spinelli in the resonance with which he write about matters of true love, loss, pain, and reclamation. If one were to judge "Report to the Principal's Office" from the cover, one might see just another hastily-written book series for kids, and dismiss it as a dime-a-dozen volume. Jerry Spinelli is never satisfied with giving the reader anything less than his best, whole self, though, and that comes through beautifully in these pages, as in everything that he has ever written.
I recommend this book enthusiastically, and look forward with great anticipation to the remaining "School Daze" series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Report to the Principal's Office!.

05/10/2009 page 1