Annie's Reviews > Blue Noon

May 22, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009
Read in May, 2009

I liked this for sure, and am definitely glad I read this trilogy, but for some reason this last entry didn't quite grab me the way the previous two did. Mainly, it seemed to drag like crazy in the middle, and it just felt more surface-y and less detailed than The Secret Hour and Touching Darkness.

I wish we'd seen more of Dess as a character, and the story had used more of the idea of the topology of the dark hour, rather than mostly using math as a kind of numerology magic trick. I'd also liked to have seen more of the relationship between Jess and Beth - I got the impression we were supposed to think of Beth as more than just the annoying little sister character, but Westerfeld didn't really do much within the story to make this ring true.

One major thing that started to grate on my nerves was the constant references to Melissa as "bitch goddess". It never felt anything more than just overdramatic and a little bit of a way to be edgy without much effort. Melissa's actions and personality always seemed completely justified to me, given her circumstances, and using this phrase so often started to trivialize a character who should've gotten a little more chance for depth.

Even with all of those issues, I still had a really fun time reading this trilogy, and I think I would've liked it even more if I'd read it back when I was a preteen. I love it when YA novels celebrate characters different from the norm, and so I've got to give points here for that. Good stuff even with its flaws, and definitely makes me want to check out some more of Westerfeld to see what else he's got to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Noon.

05/19/2009 page 126