Anne's Reviews > The Last Invisible Boy

The Last Invisible Boy by Evan Kuhlman

May 09, 09

bookshelves: juvenile, realistic-fiction, psc-reviews, 2009
Read in May, 2009

In the style of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" with lots of comic illustrations and easy to read text. But this one is pretty serious subject matter - loss of a parent. Finn is 12 and his dad dies very unexpectedly. Slowly Finn's hair and skin start turning completely white as he deals with the trauma and stress.
Good for boys, anyone dealing with loss/death, might be okay for a reluctant reader because of the illustrative style, but as I said, pretty deep subject matter although it is often handled with humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Invisible Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Is this really a YA read? My libraries all have it as adult. Would you suggest getting another copy for my teen collections?

Anne I don't see this appealing to adults at all - well, except for those of us who like to read Juv/YA lit. The protagonist is 12 and the main point of it is him trying to tell other kids that although shit happens and life sucks at times, there are good things and good memories and hope too. Especially with the illustrations and "Wimpy Kid" style, it's a good addition to a teen collection. (My long-winded way of saying "Yes, Jack.")

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack Huh, it's interesting that you'd say you don't think it would appeal to adults. It's been getting a lot of press in the industry rags, and the author did some fairly high profile reads around here. Now I'm definitely going to have to take a look...

Anne I didn't realize it was getting so much press. It is one of my books to review for PSC, so I just stumbled on it, really. Let me know what you think after you check it out. An interesting note: SPL has it catalogued J as opposed to YA