Brooke's Reviews > Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go

Heck by Dale E. Basye

May 07, 09

Read in January, 2009

After a giant marshmallow explosion Milton and Marlow Fauster find themselves in "Heck", a place where bad kids end up before they are sent to, well, a worse or better place. Milton knows why his sister is there, she's a kleptomaniac! Milton on the other hand is a good student and kid. According to the "Principal of Darkness", Bea "Elsa" Bubb, Milton committed one crime right before he passed over, he shoplifted (thanks to Marlow). Milton and Marlow are subjected to classes like Home-economics with Lizzie Borden, Ethics with Richard Nixon, and Gym with Blackbeard the Pirate. Milton knows that they can't stay in Heck and is determined to find a way to escape, but Bea "Elsa" Bubb is determined to keep them in Heck until they are 18 or for all eternity, whichever comes first.

I absolutely adored the idea of "Heck", but the story ended up being gross descriptions of things in heck, and not a lot of plot to back it up. I did enjoy reading it, but mostly because I liked seeing what else Dale Basye could twist and make "heckish". Milton and Marlow are a brother and sister team, who never got along, but are forced to once they enter Heck and know they have to escape. Typical brother sister story, except escaping Heck is not so typical a situation. I'm sure this book would be greatly enjoyed by readers who are 14 years old and younger.

I would give this 3.5 stars, but since I can't I gave it 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heck.