Motherhouse's Reviews > Mistress Pat

Mistress Pat by L.M. Montgomery

U_50x66
May 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009-summertime-booklist

Pat is my favorite LM heroine and these are my new favorite LM books. Pat loves everything about her home Silver Bush from her family, house, chicken coop, to each tree and cat on the place. As Judy the Irish voice of wisdom and humor in the books says, Pat had the gift of loving. Her intense love for so much of what other people didn't even notice brought her a lot of joy and also exquisite pain; yet I think Pat was happier than other people and other people were revitalized by associating with her. She cried when a tree fell in a storm and had to be cut up for firewood and I think that tree was happier during its existence because it knew it had been loved individually and doesn't God know and love every single creation His hands have made? Pat and Judy expand our understanding of the the gifts of the Spirit and make the usual list of talents a little more "diversified."

The other wonderful thing about this duo is the author's honest portrayal of the painful growth we must experience if we hope to produce good fruit. Occasionally, we must swallow some awfully bitter pills, but if we've got good sense we'll follow LM's example and wash it down with sea-washed, pince scented, maritime scenery. Five stars and my fervent endorsement especially if you like funny sayings and crying buckets over people who never lived but on the page.
- Sarah McIlrath

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress Pat.