Mina Villalobos's Reviews > Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism

Creating a World Without Poverty by Muhammad Yunus

Dec 27, 09

bookshelves: politics, world-improvement, non-fiction
Read in December, 2009

The book is full of great and inspiring ideas and it's helped me structure what I want to do -just having a name to call it, a social business, actually helps a lot. The anecdotal stuff is great and the suggestions as to what to do to start getting rid of poverty in your town/city/country at all excellent and very moving and empowering. My only complain about this book might be that at some point it just starts going the same things over and over again, so the third quarter of the book was rather low to read through. It picks the pace again by the end, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to regular business, anyone wanting to improve the world, anyone wanting to be part of the solution and not the problems.

The book addresses the creation of social businesses, entities that work just like regular businesses except that their purpose is not profit maximizing but the generation of a benefit, and they are no-debt, no profit, as they are self sustainable unlike non-profits and charities, but pay no dividends as any profit is reinvested to provide more benefits to the population or to improve the service. It details how they can function and what kind of changes would need to be made in the world if we want to see poverty ending.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creating a World Without Poverty.

08/13/2009 "It constantly makes me sniffle, I'm having a hard time moving forward with it, it's too awesome." 2 comments