Jaclyn's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

May 07, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-own, classics, gilmore-girls, 1001, author_jane-austen, england, historical-fiction
Read in September, 2009

This is definitely my least favorite of all the JA novels I have read. I think it's because I didn't like Emma all that much. I realize that her times allowed for much more class distinction and that in her station in life she was quite high, and thus in theory entitled to the level of snobbery and elevated opinion of herself that she held, and expected others to acknowledge. It still bothered me how very spoiled she was and how much un-checked mischief she got herself into for a grown woman. I think I didn't like this book because I would not have liked Emma in person. The only person more disagreeable than Emma was Mrs. Elton, and I found the comparisons funny because although Mrs. Elton's snobbery was blatant and somewhat over estimated for her "station", I still felt about Emma much the same way she felt about Mrs. Elton.

This is my second time reading Emma and although I don't remember it much from the first time, I also don't remember liking it. That should have been a sign to me, but I had hopes that my feelings might have changed. I don't think I would recommend this particular Austen novel to my friends unless they had a desire to read all of her works (which is the reason I undertook this second reading). Her others are better: more interesting characters with more diverse and interesting storylines in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

09/17/2009 page 216
09/18/2009 page 226
51.72% "I don't remember what I thought of this book the first time I read it, but so far it's my least favorite of the 4 JA novels I've read."