Mel's Reviews > Bitten

Jul 07, 10

bookshelves: re-read, favorites
Read in December, 2009

Re-read dec 2009

Bitten is the first book of the widely popular Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. The series is popular for good reason: Armstrong writes good, solid stories and I find her books to be urban fantasy classics.

Armstrong’s series features a wide range of female (and later on: male) narrators from different supernatural backgrounds. In this book we get introduced to her werewolves through Elena Michaels’ eyes.

Elena is the only female werewolf in the world, who’s determined to lead a normal life outside of the Pack, when she gets called back to the Pack’s estate by the Pack leader. Mutts seem to be on the loose and misbehaving and it’s time for some damage control. Soon, though, the Pack finds out that it has underestimated the problem and the situation evolves from bad to worse.

Armstrong knows how to make her characters real. Elena is a wonderful narrator. You can’t help but feel for her. Her conflicting thoughts and emotions- about her role in the world, towards the Pack and her former lover Clay- are a great hurdle that she has to overcome, next to the real battle taking place around her.

Elena is a smart, strong willed woman and she’s great to read about. Equally engaging are Clayton and Jeremy. The latter is the ever calm Pack leader who’s loneliness and insecurities shine through at several moments.
Clayton is Jeremy’s adopted son, the Pack’s enforcer and the youngest bitten werewolf ever. This makes Clay more wolf than human and it’s great to see his views on the (social) world. Clay has sociopathic tendencies, a horrible reputation ‘getting rid of’ mutts and a very hot temper but he’s also brutally honest and passionately devoted to Elena.

But however big Clay’s rowr-factor may be, my heart belongs to one man and one man only and that is Karl Marsten. This man makes single mindedness, sly, devious behavior look sexy.

Bitten is a great start to a wonderful series. Read it people!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitten.

Quotes Mel Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“The show's writers had peppered the piece with words like "savage," "wild," and "animalistic." What bullshit. Show me the animal that kills for the thrill of watching something die. Why does the stereotype of the animalistic killer persist?

Because humans like it. It neatly explains things for them, moving humans to the top of the evolutionary ladder and putting killers down among mythological man-beast monsters like werewolves.

The truth is, if a werewolf behaved like this psychopath it wouldn't be because he was part animal, but because he was still too human. Only humans kill for sport.”
Kelley Armstrong, Bitten

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Hi Mel. Don't Clay and Elena end up together ultimately?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yep they do. Sooner then you might think :)

Kelley Anne lol! If you are a Karl fan, you are going to enjoy some of the books later in this series! We aren't done with him yet!

message 5: by Mel (last edited Jan 06, 2010 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I know! I've read all of them except for Page's books and Frostbitten (waiting for the paperback version).
I've always found Karl intriguing. Especially after reading the (very) short story on Armstrong's website ('Territorial'). I really loved him in the short story 'Chaotic' in Dates From Hell and I loved him more in Personal Demon and I fell totally and completely in love after Living with the Dead *sigh*.

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel By the way: I heard Armstrong wants to do another Hope & Karl book in the future! But since they've already had two books quite recently and she wants to do another Jamie book and Savannah gets #11 and #12 it will probaly take a long while...

Kelly Mel wrote: "Yep they do. Sooner then you might think :)"

Frostbitten was good but my favorite is still Bitten. I love Clay when he is being Bad!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Kell
Is this YA?

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel No Rachael it's not.
Oh Kelly, Clay is all good and normal in this one? No right?

Kelly Yes, he is normal well Clay normal anyway. He is really like a beta because Elhena is the Alpha it makes for an interesting dynamic. It is more to the UF than PNR and I need a perfect mix of both. I think I am more of a PNR fan. Maybe I just haven't found the right UF yet.

Kelly Mel wrote: "No Rachael it's not.
Oh Kelly, Clay is all good and normal in this one? No right?"

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Is Elena already officially Alpha in Frostbitten? I'm waiting for the paperback to come out :)
I'm an UF girl. I like a good plot, character development and all that. I love a little romance in my books but it has to be real and make some kind of sense, that's why I have trouble with a lot of PNR. Except for Kresley Cole (cause of her humor) and JR Ward's books (BDB, yumm yumm).

Kelley Anne She's not officially alpha yet, but Jeremy told her just before the book takes place that he wants her to move into that position. So, it's her starting to get used to it and getting ready to transition into the position.

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Ok, thanks Kelley Anne :)

Kelly Kelley Anne wrote: "She's not officially alpha yet, but Jeremy told her just before the book takes place that he wants her to move into that position. So, it's her starting to get used to it and getting ready to tran..."

oh yes, but Clay is not Alpha. I don't know how I feel about that.

Kelly Rachael wrote: "Hey Kell
Is this YA?"

No, It is Adult but it reads very easy like a YA book.

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Well Clay was never meant to be Alpha. He might have been a good successor to Malcolm if he'd been Alpha cause they're both hot headed and good fighters. But after Jeremy everything changed. And the Pack needs something who can pull everyone together with a combination of fighting power and good reasoning. The second never being Clay's strong suit. I just don't hope that Elena gets all bossy cause I don't like her that way.

Do you know what I don't get? These guys are all wolves and only Clay had the urge to find a mate!?! Okay, now Jeremy has a girlfriend and so does Karl *sigh* Marsten but how did the werewolves before them manage to numb that instinct?

Kelley Anne I think that they were too human to want a "mate". They don't have that instinct to find the perfect mate to spend the rest of their lives with. Clay was more wolf right from the start. His instincts are more wolf. While the rest of the guys were raised human, with a few wolf instincts, and were almost adults before their first change. I think that makes them view life very differently. But if anyone else was to gain a mate, I'd have to say it'd probably be Nick. He seems to be a bit envious of everything that Clay and Elena have.

BTW, I agree with your thoughts about why Clay couldn't be alpha!

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yeah but humans want to 'mate' too right? It's normal for all animals and humans to want to share a life with another, whether it's for the need of safety or reproduction or love.
I don't understand why Armstrong's werewolf world would be a bunch of men stuck together without including a woman (besides for giving birth). And they don't even seem to have used to the idea: none of them could really cook except for Clay. I didn't give it that much thought at first but later on I started thinking it was a bit illogical.
And I'm hoping for Nick to get a HEA. But Nick always has been porrayed as the carefree playboy. I'd like to see him getting more depth first as a character, before seeing him hooked up.
I also would like to learn more about his nrelationship with his father. I know they love eachother but whenever something happens to each of them, they don't seem more concerned with each other than with the other Pack members.

Matthew The best fuckin book ever I think

Matthew why did u give my fav book only 4 stars

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I'm sorry. You wanna come to Holland and beat me up?
I really liked this one, but I very rarely give out 5 stars. I think the 4 stars was because I wasn't satisfied with details like the fact that we hardly knew Logan and Peter (so I wasn't that sorry for their loss).

Matthew Address please. Caught me by the balls there. Still ignoring that I loved it >.> Theres a short story or a couple with Logan in them. Logan is little cub now. Hes too smart.

message 24: by Seth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Seth You said "Armstrong writes good". Sorry, it was kinda funny cuz you were complimenting someone's writing and you should have said "well". Anyways. Sorry.

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel It says "Armstrong writes good, solid stories". So "she writes good stories". I don't believe that's wrong.

message 26: by Seth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Seth Ahhh. I'm an idiot. Sorry, didn't see that part!