Brian's Reviews > Pygmy

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

May 07, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, dark-comedy, 2009
Read in July, 2009 , read count: 1

This book is a Chuck Palahniuk terrorized romantic comedy satire. I think that accurately sums it up (at least I think so).

There's certain things that we've come to expect from Chuck's books, and I found them all present and accounted for here. There were sections that made me laugh (the revered Colonel Sanders!), and things that disturbed (in true Palahniuk fashion, very early in the book). Overall I'd put it somewhere above the middle, it's a decent book, but I think new readers to Chuck's work might especially struggle with it. The humor for me brings it up a few notches from where it otherwise might have ended up.

The thing I personally struggled with the most was the prose. It took me probably the first 20-30 pages of the book to really "get" the voice. That being said, once I did I quite enjoyed the effect. It really gives the book a personal feel and provides a connection with the main character, Pygmy.

So if you're looking for a satirical look at socialist states and greedy, fast food America written in a completely original voice, then full speed ahead.

I kinda want to learn the Flying Giant Stork Death Kick... bam blam!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pygmy.

07/09/2009 page 55