Jack Kirby and the X-man's Reviews > We're Going on a Bear Hunt

U 50x66
May 07, 2009

it was ok
Read in May, 2009

I remember this as a campfire skit. Captured oral traditions always disappoint me, as they never exactly match the story and wording you learnt - and so it is with We're Going on a Bear Hunt. Also the written word doesn't indicate the sing-song rhythm of the original, and doesn't provide an indication of all the relevant movements. These elements were always critical to the success of the skit, and may be lost in this book form.

Political correctness has modified the story over the years. I suspect originally the story was actually about going on a hunt to kill bears. During my childhood the movements still included holding a gun, but it was very much a pretend hunt. This book came after my time, and the guns are gone and 'hunt' is now used in the terms of 'hunting for my keys behind the couch'. I've seen some newer PC-gone-mad versions where the authors go a long way out of their way to state they are hunting for good photographs (and that no bear was harmed in the making of this story)... X-man is too young to understand the story at this stage - but I think I'll tell him this story with the level of political correctness displayed in this version. (and explain that it is a hunt for photos only if prompted.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We're Going on a Bear Hunt.