A&E's Reviews > A Wild Sheep Chase

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Nov 18, 07

bookshelves: favorites, finished
Read in November, 2007

The latest Murakami I read was also my first: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, given to me by Nina for my fifteenth birthday. It is widely considered as the "poster boy" book for Murakami, with the inconspicuous and jaded narrator and his wild search for something even he cannot understand, and all the strange and fantastic elements and characters he meets along the way.

And though a lot of themes and small details from Wind-Up Bird reappeared in Sheep Chase, I think I became more emotionally involved with the latter. There were many characters in it that provided a feeling of stability throughout the novel, secure characters such as the girlfriend with the beautiful ears, J and the Rat (I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE RAT <3333333), compared to the total thrown-for-a-loop feeling of Wind-Up Bird. Furthermore, I think Sheep Chase was able to give a fuller, more complete sense of closure, so it doesn't leave as many questions unanswered.

All in all, I think this book has cemented my fondness for Murakami. I'm definitely looking forward to more of his work.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wild Sheep Chase.