Naomi's Reviews > You Don't Love Me Yet

You Don't Love Me Yet by Jonathan Lethem

May 07, 09

Read in May, 2009

Bits of this book were very clever. I liked the song names and little clever bits of dialogue, and the premise of Falmouth's art project, but the story itself was not that interesting. The protagonist didn't change at all over the course of the book, and sometimes made some choices which didn't seem consistent with anything other than male fantasy. Sex and alcohol made up about 70% of her activities, which gets old after a while. Also, the bit with the radio show seemed to kind of veer away from the believable, and really differed in tone from the rest of the book, which was distracting.

I tried to excuse a lot of what I read because it was an Advance Reading Copy, and there was the chance that Lethem had made some minor changes before printing (although usually the only change is correcting typos), but having read a bunch of reviews on GoodReads, it looks like it stayed the same. I still plan to read other books by Lethem, as it seems that people really like his other works. But this was a very disappointing introduction to him.

edit: I just looked up Lethem on wikipedia. I had assumed that the guy on the cover was him. Knowing that he's in his 40's makes a lot of what happens in the book just a little bit more tasteless and creepy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Love Me Yet.