Julie Davis's Reviews > The Woodcutter

The Woodcutter by Kate Danley

Mar 06, 13

Read from March 04 to 05, 2013

I was interested in this book after reading a few reviews that said the author told a story referencing fairy tales, but in a way that made the tale itself something brand new ... yet faithful to fairy tales.

And this review pulled me in.
A thoroughly enjoyable retelling and combining of fairy tales from various sources.The message the same, even if the meaning is a little different: True love conquers all.

In this case however, true love is not the romantic, Disneyfied stuff. It is love that comes without enchantment or disguise. It is the love that contains a willingness for sacrifice and the quiet, comfortable warmth of true understanding and acceptance of another.
Reading the Kindle sample sealed the deal and I began waiting for the new month to roll around so I could borrow it free from the Kindle library.

Having read it at lightning speed, I concur with those marveling at the newness, yet faithfulness, of this fairy tale. It is indeed something more. When the mansion and the Gentleman comes up, I suddenly felt a resonance with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because that story is faithful to the old meaning of faery, rather than the Tinkerbell focus that is so seen today.

I'm supposed to receive the audiobook for review and I can't wait to reread this in that form. I really loved this book.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woodcutter.

03/04/2013 page 172

Jeff Miller That goes on my list. I do love fairy tales, but not the watered down Disneyfied stuff or the dark gritty ones that are more prevalent now. Although Grimms could be pretty grim for sure.

Julie Davis This isn't quite as grim as Grimm's ... luckily. :-)

Jenny (Reading Envy) *gulp*

Really do need to send those boxes....

Julie Davis hee hee!

Just checkin' to see if you read my reviews. :-D