Justin's Reviews > Reasonable Faith: Christian Truth and Apologetics

Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig

Jun 21, 09

Read in June, 2009

I read this book as part of a book study amongst friends at my university. As a student of philosophy and apologetics I was not disappointed. This book was everything I thought it would be and more.

In its third edition, this is without a doubt the best popular level survey of natural theology out there. As an undergraduate philosophy student, I've read many scholarly articles on natural theology. And trust me, they can get very very technical at times. Often I'll just have to put the paper down and ask my professor about it next class because I'm just not able to comprehend what's being said. But Craig is able to present said arguments in a way that is lucid and concise.

If you have ever seen any of Craig's debates on God's existence then you will be very familiar with the format of the book. The first half of the book is taken up with his philosophical arguments for God's existence, with Craig's famous kalam cosmological argument being the most thoroughly explained. But in this edition, Craig includes defenses of reformed epistemology and the ontological argument for God's existence. Both of which I found to be very edifying. Especially the defense of the ontological argument, which can get really technical in formal logic in the scholarly papers I've read.

The last half of the book is taken up by the historical arguments for God's existence (i.e. Jesus's resurrection). I did not really study this section of the book that well since I am not interested in such works, but I have been told by friends who are students of history that Craig has one of the best defenses of the resurrection out there.

Craig also includes a nice bit of application for his arguments, which is very needed and very helpful. He gives multiple testimonies of how he and his wife were able to use arguments with people in personal evangelism, both with scholars and non-scholars. This really helped me see how I was not really wasting my time studying the arguments and revealed how I could use these arguments to help lead someone to Christ.

All in all I would recommend this book to anyone who would like a survey of the top philosophical and historical arguments for Christianity. It is intellectually stimulating and moderately edifying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reasonable Faith.