Tammy 's Reviews > Bed of Roses

Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts

Dec 01, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-reads, contemporary-romance
Recommended for: fans of the friends-turned-lovers theme
Read in November, 2009

Gosh did I ever enjoy this story! If you're a fan of the friends-turned-lovers theme, then this is the book for you. :)

It's a real shame the author didn't write Bed of Roses as the first book in her Bride Quartet series. There is more insight into the characters. The emotions are stronger. The dialogue is so much better. This story is straight romance with sprinkles of light humor and funny banter. No suspense or mystery involved.

The relationship between the four friends is the cornerstone of the series and Bed of Roses is Emmaline Grant's story. Emma is the florist at Vows, the wedding planning business that she co-owns with her three best friends, Parker, Mac and Laurel. Emma is a true romantic to the core who adores candlelight dinners, flowers and foreplay music. She is a serial dater. A social butterfly. She dreams of being swept off her feet and dancing in the moonlight with her one true love. How could you possibly hate a girl like this?! She often ends up pairing up her dates with unsuspecting friends. Because she is such a cheerful optimist, you can't help but think that Emma is the type of girl that you would want to be your best friend. I liked the fact that she had no emotional baggage and came from a loving family with parents who were happily married to each other.

Jack Cooke is a long-time friend of the quartet as well as best friend to Parker's brother, Del. He is best described as a beta male, an architect, very manly, commitment phobic and *gasp* a little bit of a Player. (There's no disputing that this man works as hard as he plays!) I got a kick out of the testosterone-centric moments in this book - poker, beer, and male bonding at its' best!

Jack and Emma have been friends for several years, but are in denial about their mutual attraction to each other. After a really hawt back rub and amazing first kiss, Jack and Emma are able to admit that there is more to their friendship. These two definitely have chemistry. Probably more so than Mac and Carter did in the first book.

The only minor gripe I had about this book is about the conflict. Emma over-steps a boundary only two months into her relationship with Jack. You can see a mile away that Jack will get cold feet because of it. He unintentionally breaks her heart. Emma runs to her friends as expected. However, these friends have also been friends with Jack for decades and they shut him out cold. In essence, they all gang up on him to protect Emma after vowing NOT to get involved and ruin friendships. It all seemed so bitchy and contrived. Emma's actions seemed almost immature. But it all led to an apology and a happily ever after ending like it should have.

SPOILER: I have to say that I wasn't looking forward to Parker's story until I met Mal. Parker seems so uptight and off-key that I can barely tolerate her, but Mal ... the man is bad-boy to the core. Very yummy! I'm looking forward to Parker's fall. :)

12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bed of Roses.

11/21/2009 page 109
32.54% "Lovin' Jack!" 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Dina Great review, Tammy! I'm OCD about reading series in order, but I'm getting more and more convinced that I must read BOR before VIW. What to do, what to do? *sighs*

Tammy You could definitely read this one first. I don't think it would make a difference, other than a few references to Carter and Mac. NR does an awesome job explaining the characters in this one and there is very little back story.

message 3: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Awesome Review Tammy!

Dina Thanks, Tammy! So now it's only a matter of my smashing my OCD to a pulp and allowing myself to read this series out of order, LOL.

message 5: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 This was a great review Tammy! I have the first two books and am anxious to get going with the series! Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb has become one of my favorite new authors. This review makes me want to read this book NOW!

message 6: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Oh jeez, Tammy, great review! But I really don't need to start on Nora--she has sooo many books!

Dina Come on, Auntee, cave in! You don't have to read ALL her backlist, LOL.

message 8: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Oh yeah, what's another 20 books or so when I already have 800 or so to read...:)

Shawna Awesome review, Tammy! I'm anxious to read this, especially since the reviews have been so favorable, but I still need to get through VIW first, unfortunately.

I feel ya Auntee; NR has has waaaay too many books to catch up on! And I still want to read the JD Robb "In Death" series at some point, but dang there's just soooo many!

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina The longer you wait, the bigger the 'In Death' series gets, Shawna. You have got to meet hunkalicious Roarke! ;)

Shawna Dina wrote: "The longer you wait, the bigger the 'In Death' series gets, Shawna. You have got to meet hunkalicious Roarke! ;)"

I know! It's like, what, up to 30 books now?? Eeks! I've got the first 6 books if I can just make the time for them! I've heard Roarke is mighty yummy! :)

message 12: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Shawna wrote: "Dina wrote: "The longer you wait, the bigger the 'In Death' series gets, Shawna. You have got to meet hunkalicious Roarke! ;)"

I know! It's like, what, up to 30 books now?? Eeks! I've got the firs..."

message 13: by Ally72 (last edited Dec 01, 2009 08:40PM) (new)

Ally72 Roarke...Roarke...Roarke! Can I just second that with how yummy Roarke is??? I started the first book last week and I had to stop myself after the second one because I was reading them way too fast. Although, I am totally planning on reading the third one VERY soon. Honestly, Roarke is unlike any character I have ever read and Eve is a perfect compliment to him. Thanks again to Dina for recommending the series to me! I would encourage anyone to read these books if you like a gorgeous Irish man (who also happens to be loyal, intelligent, self-made, powerful, wealthy...I could go on and on).

message 14: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Digging out the J.D. Robbs now...:)

Tammy Dina wrote: "The longer you wait, the bigger the 'In Death' series gets, Shawna. You have got to meet hunkalicious Roarke! ;)"

Is this the part where I have to admit I haven't read anything in that series yet? 20+ books is intimidating!

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Shawna, I swear we must've been separated at birth! I think I have the first 4 or five books too--I was thinking if I got hooked on the series (and Roarke) that I would need to have a supply on hand.:) Maybe that will be a New Year's resolution for me for 2010--start the "In Death" series.:)"

LOL, I think we must have been! :) Maybe I can have that be one of my New Year's resolutions too! And I'll probably have a better chance of accomplishing that than my standard 'lose weight/exercise' resolution! :)

Miss Kim Great Review Tammy! I'm glad you loved it, too. I agree with everything you said about this. I too thought this one should have been first instead of VIW. I'm anxious to get more of Mal, but unfortunately we have to wait until next fall. :(

Tammy Kim wrote: "Great Review Tammy! I'm glad you loved it, too. I agree with everything you said about this. I too thought this one should have been first instead of VIW. I'm anxious to get more of Mal, but unfort..."

Is Mal and Parker's story next? I assumed it would be Laurel and Del's because of the teaser at the end of this book. I'm really looking forward to Mal's. :)

message 19: by Miss Kim (last edited Dec 02, 2009 10:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Kim Laurel's is next and due in the spring, but I am more interested in Parker and Mal's.

Tammy Ah ha! I get it! So we are getting BOTH books next year. Very cool!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Tammy! The first one in this series was a DNF for me, but this one sounds more up my ally. Love the friends to lovers theme. :)

message 22: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Great review, Tammy! This one looks great!