Adam's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

1562092
Jun 06, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, contemporary-lit, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2010

Like The Kite Runner before it, A Thousand Splendid Suns centers around the incredible lives of modern Afghani men and women. The subject matter is, as expected, extremely bleak, yet Hosseini's cleaver hand paints vivid and amiable characters that make the books hard to put down.

A Thousand Splendid Suns chronicles the lives of two Afghani women struggling to survive through all the tumultuous events of the past few decades.

It's both fascinating and revolting to watch the country of Afghanistan progress from a seemingly beautiful country, through revolts, a Soviet invasion, a gruesome war between various warlords, and eventually become the Taliban infested country that we know and love from our 911 days.

I can't say I liked this outing as much as the Kite Runner. The protagonist of the Kite Runner was able to make it to America, which provided a reprieve from the onslaught of drama in his native land. No such luck here, but I throughly enjoyed the book nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Quotes Adam Liked

Khaled Hosseini
“One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.”

Khaled Hosseini
“Behind every trial and sorrow that He makes us shoulder, God has a reason.”

Khaled Hosseini
“Of all the hardships a person had to face, none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting.”

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb Thanks for sharing Adam! I like historical fiction, although it sounds like this book is too close for comfort.... I always learn something though. Hope you did too!