Nely's Reviews > A Hint of Wicked

A Hint of Wicked by Jennifer Haymore

May 26, 09

Read in May, 2009

Talk about getting stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sophie, the Duchess of Calton, is devastated when she is informed that her husband Garrett has perished at the Battle of Waterloo. Tristan, both Sophie and Garrett's childhood friend, is the one who helps her through her grief, pregnancy and eventually the one to help her overcome the loss of her first love and learn to find love once again in his arms. Eight years after the dreadful news of Garrett's death, Sophie and Tristan are happilly married raising their two children (Sophie & Garrett's daughter Miranda, and Gary - Tristan's son from his first marriage). She has moved on and although she still remebers Garrett - she has found love and passion with her new husband. That is, until the night that Garrett returns demanding his title, his land, and, more importantly, his wife back.

Sophie is quite the heroine. I liked her a lot - she's definitely not the average heronie you find in most historical romances. She's strong and will do absolutely anything for her family. Tristan and Garrett were both endearing in their own ways. Where Tristan was romantic and kind - Garrett was strong and hard. It was definitely a tough choice for me and I found myself just as torn as Sophie was as to whom she loved.

The story itself was great, with plenty of action and steamy romance that at no point fizzled out. I was intrigued as to who Sophie would eventually stay with (making the pages fly by) and was pleased with the outcome of the story. I also am happy to hear that the man whom Sophie eventually does turn away will have his own story come April 2010 so I'll definitely have my eye out for that. This is Ms. Haymore's first novel and I must say it was a grand success! This is a refreshing take on historical romance that was quite a treat and one that is a definite must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hint of Wicked.