Luke Burrage's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

May 06, 2009

bookshelves: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp, audio-book, paper-book, ebook
read count: 5

Full review on my podcast: SFBRP episode #011.

Epic review of the novel, the German abridged version, the 1984 movie, the audiobook and the board game: SFBRP episode #174.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

Linguana Ooooh, can't wait.
The first Dune book grew on me after reading it. I had some problems with the style and pacing while I was actually reading but in retrospect it was quite awesome! Maybe your review will tempt me to get the audio version as well.

message 2: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j i'm not seeing the last few podcasts on the feed... are they still in the upload queue?

Luke Burrage Hey Joel, I've not recorded them yet! If you listen to the most recent episode in the feed, I mentioned I'm away for 5 weeks on vacation in Africa. The trip ends on Monday. Don't worry, I'll get to reviewing these novels next week.

Martin Noutch Really enjoyed your review after a long holiday from listening - how could I stay away from Dune? I liked your more fluid romp through the story - seeing that you had already done a super job on your first review - and the discussion you both have comparing with Star Wars and the Lynch movie. Def going to look up the board game now! What a totally rocking story it is. Thanks for a very entertaining hour and a half, Luke.

message 5: by molosovsky (new)

molosovsky About the practice of german publishers in the seventies to shorten books: this is not a thing of the past, although the rigidity of this practice got milder. For an extensive comparison of left out pieces in China Miévilles »The Iron Council« from (»Der eiserne Rat«) see my blog post: »Verlohren gegangene Zeilen und Stellen in ›Der Eiserne Rat‹«.

message 6: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Hi Guys,
just listened to you podcast about Dune (okok, I am listening a bit out of sequence :) ) and just wanted to share a couple of thoughts:

- (being German myself - I live in London these days) I have had over the years exactly the same wtf type of experiences when reading the German raped edited versions of specifically 50s-60s SF. While I feel that especially with self-publishing one can clearly see how important editors are (actually even for established proficient writers, such as, imo, Scalzi and Stross are very good examples where editors could do a better job in some cases) one wonders at the same time how much damage is done in editing at the same time... And sometimes for the most, let's second guess the reader or work towards a budget, reason...
(sorry for the rant :) )

Anyway the more important points from your review:
- As yourselves I must have read Dune more times than I can maybe count. But it didn't occur to me only recently, and even then I couldn't put it in words as well as you, that even in this first book, it is very clear that we re not being told a fairy tale with happy ending (how I certainly read it when I was a teenager), nor are we reading the making of a messiah, but in fact we are being told the story of the making of a tyrant. Now this becomes clearer in the subsequent books, but I always read this as, 'what happened then', while it is quite clear in the very first book.

Following from this comes my final thought, and one I have always struggled with with Dune and the entire cycle:
- The way I was reading the original Dune was that the plan was to create a Messiah who would lead human civilisation to sustainable greatness, perfection even.
But when reading Dune I struggle with the strategy around this: Ok, let's put the Messiah in place, and then what? Everything seems to hinge off this person or some individuals. I cannot see how humanity as a whole is supposed to improve. In fact, it sounds everything is going massively downhill.
Now maybe this was the point of the sequels, 'best laid plans' and all that, but even when trying to understand the Tyrant's Golden Path, I can simply not see what Herbert want to achieve.
Now most of us imo would agree that the later the book, the worst it gets, but I struggle even in the original novel to see a functioning strategy and goal.

That doesn't make it less of a brilliant book, but it always made me wonder...
Not sure, is that just me?