Maribeth's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

May 06, 09

bookshelves: favorites, emotional

This was fabulous. Foer has a very distinct style of writing, which causes you to concentrate or else you lose who is talking or what exactly is going on. He flips around from story to story until the end when things explain themselves, however, not everything makes you feel warm and fuzzy. My favorite parts were when the story centered around a 9 year old boy who is trying to get to know his late father who perished in the World Trade Center collapse. He finds different clues and goes to visit everyone in the phone book in New York and its 5 Burroughs with the last name, "Black." He is truly hilarious, I was riding the subway reading the book and started laughing out loud at one part, it was embarrassing.

I would highly recommend this one, it is a good read, you feel connected to the characters, your heart breaks for them, it is deeply sad, but you still have a feeling of light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Quotes Maribeth Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Succotash my cocker spaniel, you fudging crevasse-hole dipshiitake!”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Humans are the only animal that blushes, laughs, has religion, wages war, and kisses with lips. So in a way, the more you kiss with lips, the more human you are. And the more you wage war.”