John's Reviews > Muncus Agruncus, a Bad Little Mouse

Muncus Agruncus, a Bad Little Mouse by Nancy Dingman Watson

M_50x66
Sep 01, 07

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Anyone who likes children's books
Read in January, 1978

So, this is a book that my mother read to me almost every night while I was growing up. It was read to me so often I practically memorized it, so it naturally is a book I feel a profound connection to. But, apart from my indoctrination, it is a really great children's book. I suppose it is particularly interesting since it's a book you could read a four year old, and yet at the same time the sentences and vocabulary are rather advanced for a children's book. How many children's books come up with rhymes like "One by one his brave fleet disappeared/While the roar of the cataract burst on his ears," or that will describe the water pouring out of a bathtub faucet as a "wild foam cloudland," and make it fit the meter? Well, I suppose there are others, but this one is a good one. And even to this day I think about the last picture and quotation when I head off to bed: "And on his desk were the maps and plans/For the next time he might find some time on his hands."

If you like children's books, you should have this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muncus Agruncus, a Bad Little Mouse.