JoPaul's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

2073897
Nov 10, 09

bookshelves: favorite, fiction, legal, moral-ethical

This was the second time I read a Jodi Picoult masterpiece. I borrowed the book from an effeminate friend. For three days of reading, I found this one great! An amalgam of freedom, choice, sisterly love, parenting, legal practice, medicine, friendship, love and a haunt of the past. The story of Kate and Anna as sisters is truly amazing. The former who is sick and dying and the latter, the sacrificial lamb to save her sister. The idea of an eleven-year old girl seeking for medical emancipation interests me a lot. However, it was not about her choice of not donating her kidney to her sister or to be freed from any medical activities. Rather, it was about a teenage girl who wants to make choices about her life, without being influenced by her family. It was about being loved entirely and unconditionally and not just as a subordinate or a second choice.

Over all, it's a must-have. The story of Julia Campbell and her lover is such a nice addition to the plot. The idea of leukemia and fire fighters give the story more sparks. The addition of a lost teenager and son is a bit sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

Quotes JoPaul Liked

Jodi Picoult
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.”

Jodi Picoult
“Maybe who we are isn't so much about what we do, but rather what we're capable of when we least expect it.”

Jodi Picoult
“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”