Seth's Reviews > Phenomenology of Spirit

Sep 01, 2007

Recommended to Seth by: Jacques Derrida
Recommended for: Immanuel Kant
Read in November, 2007

In this debut novel, the multi-talented Georg Hegel gives an edge-of-your-seat, no-holds-barred, rip-roaring ride through the dark and mysterious caverns of the criminal mind. This romp-em-stop-em tale traces the journey of a strapping, curious, yet fickle young man named Spirit (Geist in the original German) as his godlike intelligence leads him from the rough-and-tumble, animalistic mean streets of an unknown Caribbean island, through the French Revolution, to the clean and well-ordered cities of present-day Japan. (For a fuller account of the book's enigmatic conclusion, plus some alternate endings and commentary, see Alexandre Kojève's stunning compendium.) Many readers may know Georg Hegel as a humble high-school teacher and occasional babysitter, but make no mistake: Hegel is a masterful storyteller. In the Phenomenology of Spirit (popularly called P.O.S.), he thrills us with the twists and turns of a deeply complex character's development, stopping on the way to wow us with fights-to-the-death, to illuminate the perils and attraction of religious fanaticism, and even to weigh the pros and cons of arcana such as phrenological metaphysics and systematic racism. Like so many of our best novels, Hegel's narrative is of course completely implausible, yet even when the story stretches the bounds of believability, its constant movement from one point of view to another—followed so often by a graceful synthesis of the two—makes Hegel's P.O.S. one of the best reads of 2007.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phenomenology of Spirit.

03/02/2016 marked as: read

Jason Your review blew my mind.

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley I am so impressed with this review that I have decided immediately to go away and read the book which has so unjustly languished unread on my shelves for many years.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, this review was incredible and absolutely hilarious -- I had an entire course in college on this book and I wish I could send them all this.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Romano Seth, you are an ignoramus.

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle nice...just, nice.

message 6: by Joe (new)

Joe Romano Why doesn't anyone read?

Anya I don't know you but I've shown everyone in the philosophy department at my school this review and they all think you're a genius

message 8: by Biggtiny (new)

Biggtiny great review..

Aliensyntax This is an orgy of stupidity.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Adkin Nicely surrealistic, but it could have been better.

message 11: by Fahd (new) - added it

Fahd Thanks for your great review.

message 12: by Jean (new) - added it