Kellidee's Reviews > Disobedience

Disobedience by Jane Hamilton

May 28, 09

Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Although I am a big fan of this author's writing, the plot line in this particular book lost my interest halfway through. In addition, I found the main character hard to believe. Hamilton writes first person as a teenage boy- the narrator. But, I find it hard to believe that any teenage boy would have this level of self awareness.

Ok, so this first review is now in need of a revision. I had given up on his book until I was stuck hanging out in the hospital and finished it.

I then realized that this book was written in retrospect and it resolved my issues with the narrator's level of introspection.

I only have one thing that i feel like sharing about this book, and it is that the author was clever enough to create a story from the point of a view of a less than admirable person. I think that readers tend to expect their narrator to have some sort of omniscience and integrity. Hamilton manages to lead the reader to believe in the perspective of the narrator until the end when as a reader, you see that perhaps this guy just isn't as intuitive as he thought. She does this through the narrator's depiction of conversations with other characters. I liked that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disobedience.