Mrs. McGregor's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jan 26, 2015

bookshelves: favorites

Maybe it's not best to compare, but I enjoyed this book more than Everything Is Illuminated. I liked both books, but Oskar Schell was just a more loveable protagonist/narrator than the fictional Jonathan Safran Foer.

In both books, Foer uses very interesting every-day language in beautiful ways to describe feelings and esoteric ideas such as true love and real loneliness.

I loved how Oskar's grandmother's learning of the English language ties into the phrasing Oskar uses ("one hundred dollars" and "very heavy boots"), and also ties into major life events like Thomas, Sr. leaving his family (the suitcase he brought English home for his wife in each day was his cover when he left on the last morning). I loved how so many characters wrote letters in this book. I love how Thomas, Sr. and Grandma wrote letters that their recipients never saw (as well as the gentleman Black at the end), and how Oskar actually did send his letters. I loved sharing Oskar's expectant excitement when someone famous replied to his letters - Jane Goodall, Stephen Hawking, and so forth. I loved the scenes where Oskar and his father would find mistakes in the New York Times, or how Oskar would express something in absolutes and his mom would say he reminded her of his dad.

All of these little quirks and phrases, and habits and rituals all made the members of this family seem so related to each other. Not just by blood, but by character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

08/17 page 1
0.0% "Re-reading this with a book club to commemorate the upcoming 10-yr. anniversary of 9/11."
05/24 marked as: read