Brett's Reviews > Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere by Adele Westbrook

Jun 03, 2009

bookshelves: martial-arts, non-fiction, personal-growth, 50-books-09
Read in June, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere.

Mike I read Aikido & Dynamic Sphere years ago (25+); I thought it was very good. At the time I had been practicing Aikido for a few years and this book helped organize my thoughts.

It added the structure that Japanese teachers don’t normally bring to class; at least the ones I have worked with.

Mike After writing my comment I had to dig out my copy. It was written by Westbrook and Ratti. The fist edition was 1970, my copy was the 8th printing in 1980. Near the rear of the book there is a foldout picturing a kata with a “Jo”. Mastering that will exercise most of the key movements required to effectively use a Jo. That can make a broomstick your best friend in a tight spot.

Brett Mike wrote: "After writing my comment I had to dig out my copy. It was written by Westbrook and Ratti. The fist edition was 1970, my copy was the 8th printing in 1980. Near the rear of the book there is a fo..."

I had the pleasure of practicing Aikido for about 8 solid weeks while on temporary duty in the Army, almost 15 years ago now. That lead me to this book, as well as George Leonard's "The Way of Aikido" and eventually his book "Mastery". I have to admit that my favorite part of training was weapon's training, with both the bokken and jo, so the fold out you describe came in very handy.

In addition to the physical aspects of the art, the philosophical aspects also appeal to me, and have helped guide my attitudes and approaches to many of life's challenges and problems.