Patrick's Reviews > Steelheart

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Mar 02, 13

bookshelves: books-i-would-blurb
Read in March, 2013

I got a chance to read an early version of this a little while ago. Needless to say, I jumped at it.

The reason for this is that so far, I haven't read a book by Brandon Sanderson that I haven't loved. That means it's quite likely that I'll get a chance to read another good book, which is always welcome.

OR I'll finally read something of Sanderson's I *don't* like. Which would thrill me, honestly.

Why? Well, because Brandon writes so much faster than me. It only seems fair that some of his stuff should be crap. It just doesn't seem fair that he's brilliant AND fast....

Unfortunately for my ego, Steelheart is another win for Sanderson, proving that he's not a brilliant writer of epic fantasy, he's simply a brilliant writer. Period.

Simply said. Great book. Tight writing. Nice take on superheroes. Nice world creation. Absolutely worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steelheart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nermin (new) - added it

Nermin Wow, i'm so envious now !

Evgeni Kirilov So, um... you can mail me your copy now, yes? It sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Garrett Nicolai Finishing the Mistborn trilogy today (or tomorrow), and I can't agree more. Excellent writer. (Of course, even if you are a bit slow Pat, I've loved everything of yours that I've read, too!)

Jerry Hart I've really liked all his books except "A Memory of Light," which I couldn't finish.

Chris Brandon is an excellent writer. Speed & Quality, don't know how he does it.

message 6: by Nermin (new) - added it

Nermin Brandon is the guy in 'Legion' , he uses his multiple personalities to write so many book in a short time.

message 7: by Urbanista (new)

Urbanista Didn't he have to finish Robert Jordan's unwieldy epic?

Evgeni Kirilov Which he did - that's what Memory of Light is, the last book of the series.

Beth York ah, he did the WOT series splendidly indeed. taking jordan's wonderful treasure and somehow morphing the journey into...well, more! and in an amazing way. he tied in all the loose ends without spending page after page on the little details. recapturing the reader and reestablishing why we were drawn to jordan's series in the first place. there just aren't words to describe it. anywho, i love sanderson's original ideas, worlds, characters and his mind. how does he keep coming up with so many new ideas for all the different books? i'm thankful for the fast writer. it stinks waiting inbetween your brilliant works of splendor! although, for people like rothfuss, sanderson and peter v. brett...i have to admit, waiting is not easy. but it's all worth it once i get my grubby paws on your latest treasures. thank you for touching our lives, minds and hearts with your phenomenal art. looking forward to your next masterpiece patrick rothfuss!

Jerry Hart I just couldn't get past the repetitive Trolloc battles. The first couple were cool, but after a while I just got restless and skimmed all the Rand scenes. If anything else important happened to the other characters, I missed out.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm starting to question your five star ratings, Pat. ;)

Jonas Cicenas Both Pat and Brandon are brilliant writers, but now I know that Pat car write great reviews as well :)

message 13: by Rowan (new) - added it

Rowan Buhler Jerry wrote: "I've really liked all his books except "A Memory of Light," which I couldn't finish."

A Memory of Light was a series he finished for an author who passed away. The three books he wrote to end "The Wheel of Time" were done with massive notes from Robert Jordon, and even entire sections written by the previous author. Makes sense if people didn't like it as a Sanderson book. ^-^

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Jerry wrote: "I just couldn't get past the repetitive Trolloc battles. The first couple were cool, but after a while I just got restless and skimmed all the Rand scenes. If anything else important happened to th..."

You're crazy man! That book was awesome!

message 15: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Mcgill Rothfusssssssss

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Gierhart Jerry wrote: "I just couldn't get past the repetitive Trolloc battles. The first couple were cool, but after a while I just got restless and skimmed all the Rand scenes. If anything else important happened to th..."

To be fair, most of Rand's parts in the last three books were completed by Jordan before he passed away (he originally meant The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, and A Memory of Light to be one book). Jordan was a master at worldcrafting, and a genius at keeping all of the billions of storylines straight, but... he tended to go into very explicit detail on some scenes, which could be a little overmuch--a scene that other authors might write in two pages would usually take Jordan upwards of 15-20.

Brandon mostly wrote the other main characters (for example, Brandon has said that Perrin's scene crafting Mah'allenir in ToM was probably the best scene he's written in his entire career) or secondary characters--Androl, for example, was created wholesale by Brandon for the series when he and Harriet thought the story needed another Asha'man viewpoint.

Anyway, my point is--if Rand's part bored you, that's probably not Sanderson's fault. ;-)

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather I will read this because of you!

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian I had some issues while reading the Trolloc battles and thought it got a little repetitive and cumbersome as well. After I finished it, as I have done with all of the other books, I started listening to the audio book. And I think I was perhaps rushing my initial read of AMOL because I wanted to devour it. The Audio book doesn't seem to have the same problem and I am enjoying the book as a whole much more than before. Even with knowing everything that is going to happen I am still finding it more entertaining.

Brandi Chavez Yay! One of my favorite authors giving a good review to my absolutely favorite author! Can't get better than that!

Deepspacesamurai I assume Brandon writes quickly because he puts a lot of time into it. I'm sure if more authors treated writing like a full time job each day, they'd be able to put out books like Brandon does.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather You can write full-time and still take more time than other authors to publish a book. It depends a lot on what you are trying to put on paper, what circumstances surround you at the time, etc...Just sayin'...

Deepspacesamurai I agree I agree that not everyone is going to write at the same speed given your reasons. I think there should always be a reasonable amount of time to write a book. It's a large task. There's a time gap I don't think is reasonable at all. I think any good author SHOULD be able to put out at least one book a year. One book three or four years is just lazy. I can't control that. People will still buy their books. I will will probably lose interest.

James I really want to read this book

message 24: by Devin (last edited Mar 03, 2013 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Devin I once heard it said, and applied to myself 'I can write better than someone who can write faster than me, and I can write faster than someone who can write better than me.' Sanderson seems to be breaking that rule, his list of books staggers all of us.

message 25: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Waiting to meet David in dystopia!

Bobby Luke Yeah, "A Memory of Light" was fantastic. I don't know what some of these crazy people are talking about.

Jonas Cicenas Bobby wrote: "Yeah, "A Memory of Light" was fantastic. I don't know what some of these crazy people are talking about."

Same here, Bob :)

message 28: by Br1cht (new) - added it

Br1cht With you there!

Sylvia Great praise coming from one amazing author to an equally amazing author.

message 30: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry Martin Now if I could just get my hands on an ARC!!

message 31: by Graham (new) - added it

Graham Even your reviews are fun to read, Patrick. Thank you for making me excited for a new book to read!

message 32: by Ari (new)

Ari I can't stop laughing.

Steve Davis Yep, he sure is awesome. I only recently discovered his Mistborn books, but they completely blew me away.

message 34: by Jose (new)

Jose Not sure if this is the place for it but ... I listened to the audiobooks for the entire WOT series. From that perspective I think Brandon did an amazing job of tying all the loose threads and introducing others (Androl) to completion. Because of Brandon's pacing, switching of view points, timing of event sequences and other suspense building tools, the last three WOT audiobooks, IMHO are his best work thus far. I've read Stormlight 1 and was impressed; I will now listen to the audiobook as a re-read in anticipation of Stormlight 2 and see if my opinion changes.

Brandi Chavez Jose wrote: "Not sure if this is the place for it but ... I listened to the audiobooks for the entire WOT series. From that perspective I think Brandon did an amazing job of tying all the loose threads and int..."

You're going to love him! His Warbreaker, Elantris, and Mistborn series are also great. You should give them a try too...

message 36: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Derrick wrote: "It isn't JUST that Sanderson writes fast, but that you write slow..."

I cringed but since I didn't see the great, and powerful Rothfuss smite you... I kind of have to agree but only because I'm a grubby, greedy, reader who can't get enough of the KingKiller Chronicles ;)

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Derrick wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I cringed but since I didn't see the great, and powerful Rothfuss smite you... I kind of have to agree..."

Rothfuss has enough sycophants licking his boots. I refuse to be one of th..."

*promptly stops licking* Yeah! What he said, haha

Robert Derrick wrote: "It isn't JUST that Sanderson writes fast, but that you write slow..."
I rolled out of bed to reply to this. Kudos, it's exactly what I was thinking.

message 39: by Neil (new)

Neil So when is the Rothfuss Sanderson combo project coming out (P.S. this is not a wheel of time snub its an actual hope they work togeather)

message 40: by Neil (new)

Neil Cant wait till i get to read both author's future releases: Steelheart, Stormlight and mabe one day Kingkiller #3

message 41: by Graff (new) - added it

Graff Fuller I will be getting this book, as I have with all Brandon's books, but it means a lot more to me that you like it. I have been visiting your blog and have listened to podcasts and seen videos of you, you always tell it like it is (as you see it). I do not always agree with you, but I can usually understand your point. Thank you for being honest...about everything.

message 42: by Abel (new)

Abel Veloso "I haven't read a book by Brandon Sanderson that I haven't loved." nuff said

Abhisek Dash I noticed lot of many similarities between this and Mistborn: The Final Empire. And yeah Pat, lookout for Sanderson. He's a worthy opponent.

message 44: by Idan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Idan A worthy opponent indeed!

message 45: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Bata well kick it up a notch Patrick. It just isn't right to keep us waiting so long.

Nathaniel I just saw part of your review on the back of the book... Lol

message 47: by Sharade (new) - added it

Sharade Hahaha he does write fast, doesn't he? But it's a good thing you guys don't have the same writing pace. I mean, if my favorite authors start releasing books every year I will have to abandon my studies and spend my days binge-reading (is that a thing? if not, it should be). Waiting is part of the magic, really. Whenever I feel post-fantastic-series blues I tell myself that I still have Doors of Stone to read, one day, and boy...does it make me happy.

Patti Love his work!