J.M.'s Reviews > The Pink Triangle: The Nazi War Against Homosexuals

The Pink Triangle by Richard Plant

Jun 23, 09

bookshelves: glbt, holocaust, historical, nonfiction

Under the Nazi regime, homosexual men were confined to death camps where they were forced to wear pink triangles as a symbol of their crime. They were at the bottom of the camp hierarchy, brutalized and abused past the point of human endurance. In this book, the horror of life in the Nazi's concentration camps is revealed through diaries, interviews with, and letters from survivors.

Every school child learns that the Nazis tried to exterminate the Jews. Few are told of the other segments of "undesirables" who were forced into the same fate. The Roma (Gypsies), political prisoners, and homosexual men were among those also targeted for extinction.

So many young gay people today don't realize the important significance of the pink triangle ~ they think it just another symbol of pride, and don't realize that it has been reclaimed from a horrific history in which many men died for their sexuality. This book helps the common reader understand why Hitler began his hateful anti-homosexual campaign.

Through the survivor's stories, it paints a vivid portrait not only of the despicable depths of hatred to which men can sink, but it also shows us the undefeatable spirit of the human race to withstand and move on from such adversity. I cannot recommend this book enough ~ it is only through realizing what we have been through that we learn what we will be able to overcome.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pink Triangle.