Aquit's Reviews > Kiss of the Highlander

Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

May 05, 2009

bookshelves: books-i-reviewed, books-from-library, seal-with-a-wet-kiss, contemporary-pnr-romance, hero-i-wanna-naughty-with, hero-is-agressively-panties-off-hot, hero-is-alpha-sexy, hero-swoon-worthy-lickable, hero-with-tattoos-i-wanna-lick, books-i-own, books-from-sisters, twit-desperate-in-need-of-sex
Recommended to Aquit by: My sister, the hopeless romantic
Recommended for: Anyone who need a little love in their life
Read in July, 2005 , read count: Too many times to count

I read this book a long time ago; it was one of the first book I read from Karen. Overall, I did like it but there were some points that annoyed the heck out of me.

The book startd with Gwen as the typical virgin: desperate for sex and wanting to get her "cherry pluck." Seriously, all virgins in contemporary books are so stereotype these days. They're weak, can't-live-without-a-man, desperate, annoying, naiive, stupid, and have a stick for a brain. Why is it that it's so wrong for virgins to be independent, strong, witty, intelligent, and beautiful inside & out? But I digress.

Gwen finds her "cherry plucker" in the form of Drustan who has pop out of th 16th century and together they form a allience to save themselves. I admit the interaction between Gwen and Drustan was funny and touching but other then that there wasn't much that could had been appealing. The history was ok in my opinion and the villian was a freaking witch who needed two big strong Highlanders to stop her. My eyes did roll a bit while reading it for the first time but I'm fine with that now.

Gwen was really desperate for a man, a trait I hate in any heroine, but she had her good points. She was a strong heroine and I really like her for standing up for herself and doing what she need to do to save the hero. Drustan is the typical alpha male but at least he knows what he want in a woman and respected Gwen from the start. They rarely fought and when they did it wasn't annoying or full of hate unlike the trend that is popular these days. It was full of humor and wit; and you couldn't help but laugh along with them.

I admit I did went all mushy when I read the part where he was telling Gwen what he wanted in a woman. "She would be my honored companion, adored lover, and cherished wife." (pg.69) How can you not love that arrogant man?

Gwen and Drustan respectd and trusted each other and that developed into love along the way. This book delivered a heartwarming kind of feeling and it's one that belongs on any bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Highlander.