Laura's Reviews > Mean Streets

1951663
May 12, 09

bookshelves: audiobook, urban-fantasy, short-stories
Read in May, 2009

The Warrior by Jim Butcher: 2 stars. I've read some of Butcher's "Dresden Files" series and found them enjoyable, but this story just didn't catch my interest at all. The plot was an (overly) familiar one: a "Bad" Guy tries to blackmail the Good Guy by threatening a friend and the friend's family, with a predictable showdown between the two. There was nothing to distinguish this story from all the other stories using the same plot line, and nothing to distinguish Harry from all the other Good Guys in those stories. I also found the story to be rather preachy and with too much emphasis on the Christian church and its belief system. If this were my introduction to the Dresden series I would assume that Butcher was a mediocre writer of Christian fiction.

The Difference a Day Makes by Simon R. Green: 4 stars. Although this story has a pretty straight forward plot, a trip to the Nightside with John Taylor is almost always fun and this short story is no exception. As an audiobook listener, I was surprised that a story set in an alternate London was read by a narrator with an American accent, but that's a minor quibble.

The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog by Kat Richardson: 2 stars. How I feel about a book (or story) usually has to take into account the mood I'm in when I read it, as well as the writing itself. For an audiobook I have to add the narrator's abilities into the mix. On all three levels this story was just average to me. I may have enjoyed it more in traditional format, without the narrator's distracting "Mexican" accents.

Noah's Orphans by Thomas E. Sniegoski: 2 stars. A decent story with some interesting ideas (I enjoyed the conversations that Remy has with his dog, as well as the idea that Noah felt guilty about the "orphans" he couldn't save in the ark), but after The Warrior I wasn't interested in another story based on the Christian religion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mean Streets.