Kathleen's Reviews > The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

1974182
Jul 13, 14

bookshelves: j-fiction
Read in April, 2009

Although black, and a girl, the new postmaster's daughter turns out to be a good friend for 12-year-old Dit Sims, desperate for attention in his big family and struggling to navigate the racially charged territory of small-town Alabama in 1918. The friendship slowly develops as they share their different skills and values (his baseball and love for the outdoors, her book smarts and care for animals). Strong southern voice - dialect but not difficult to read. And once the race relations heat up - when she joins the school play and the racist sheriff objects - you can't put it down. Strains credulity a bit: the friendship (and especially his parents easy acceptance of it), and their ability to enlist the help of some adults and rescue the man charged with murder. But the post office DID continue to employ black postmasters in the south in the early 20th century and this first novel is said to be based on a grandfather's recollections.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had.